Tuesday 25 March 2014

Life in The Netherlands V life in South Korea

I’ve been living in The Netherlands for almost seven months now and what a fantastic seven months it has been! Unlike my move to South Korea in 2010, my move here was fairly sudden and more ‘on a whim’ but just like my move to Korea, my move here has been one of the best moves I have ever made!

Before moving here I made the mistake of assuming that living abroad this time would be just like living abroad last time. I was wrong. And it didn’t take me long to discover that. The greatest things about my time in Korea (the freedom, all the time on my hands, the lack of responsibility, feeling like a student again, the way of life because it’s so cheap to live there, the ability to live life to the absolute max, the person I became) are things that either don’t exist here or are much harder to achieve/ maintain here (predominantly because the job I do here is what takes up most of my time...and energy!) But on the flipside, the things I liked least/found the most challenging during my time in Korea (the mind-numbing, uninspiring job, working for people of totally different and often clashing cultures, values and opinions, being so far away from home... and normal life!) are not a problem here because the opposite is true for each.


So, to conclude, both experiences are ENTIRELY different and shouldn’t be compared (although I still do more than I should).  All I know is that whilst I’m enjoying and appreciating the things I have here that I desperately longed for in Korea, I must MAKE time for all the things that made me happiest in Korea. And in some ways, being that girl here, in spite of the demands of a high pressure job, will be more of a challenge than the quest it took to find her in the first place. So I’m still that ‘Seoulsearching’ girl I was a couple of years ago just in a slightly different place and on a slightly different journey... 

No comments:

Post a Comment